MORROW, Ga. – May 8, 2010 – It’s on to the NCAA Division II “Sweet 16” for the Clayton State Laker women’s tennis team!
Playing host to Peach Belt Conference rival Columbus in the second round of the 2010 NCAA Division II Southeast Regional, ClaytonState came away with a thrilling 5-2 victory at Laker Courts. The victory was the seventh victory in the last eight matches for 10th-ranked ClaytonState, now 18-7 overall. This is the second time in program history that the Lakers have advanced to the Division II “Sweet 16” – the first time coming in 2002.
Clayton State will play undefeated and third-ranked BYU-Hawaii on Wednesday in the Division II “Sweet 16” in Altamonte, Fla. 11th-ranked ColumbusState finished its season 20-6.
Clayton State gained some early momentum with a sweep in the doubles matches. Viktoriya Semyrodenko and Ivana Krommelova cruised to an 8-3 victory over ColumbusState’s Loriane Favoretto and Hanane Toumi, while both Katie White and Marie Cercellietti (No. 2) and Evelin Csizi and Jessica Budd (No. 3) both won 8-6 thrillers. White and Cercelletti edged the Lady Cougar team of Tracy Castillo and Sofia Persson, while Budd and Csizi rallied past ColumbusState’s Gabriela Vasilescu and Caterina Kiefer.
In singles, White quickly knocked off Favoretto 6-0, 6-3 at No. 1 for the Lakers, followed by a thrilling 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 3 by Krommelova against Toumi.
Columbus State’s two victories in singles were by Kiefer at No. 4 and Vasilescu at No. 5.
COLUMBUS STATE 5, COLUMBUS STATE 3
1. Katie White (CLS) d. Loriane Favoretto 6-0, 6-3
2. Viktoriya Semyrodenko (CLS) vs. Tracy Castillo (CS), unfinished
3. Ivanna Krommelova (CLS) d. Hanane Toumi 6-4, 6-4
4. Caterina Kiefer (CS) d. Marie Cercelletti 6-2, 7-5
5. Gabriela Vasilescu (CS) d. Evelin Csizi 6-1, 6-3
6. Jessica Budd (CLS) vs. Andrea Redrado (CS), unfinished
1. Semyrodenko/Krommelova (CLS) d. Favoretto/Toumi 8-3
2. White/Cercelletti (CLS) d. Castillo/Sofia Persson 8-6
3. Budd/Csizi (CLS) d. Vasilescu/Kiefer 8-6